We are a unique multi-channel retailer recognised for choice, value and convenience. We sell general merchandise and products for the home from over 700 stores throughout the UK and Republic of Ireland, online and over the telephone. In the last financial year, our sales were £4.3 billion and we employ some 33,000 people across the business.
We serve over 130 million customers a year through our stores and take 26% of sales through the internet channel alone. Four million customer orders either online or over the phone. On average, 18 million UK households, or around two thirds of the population, have our Argos catalogue at home at any time. We intend to open approximately 20 stores this financial year. This website was the most visited high street retail website in the UK in 2008.
At Argos we believe in taking a responsible approach to our environment and our local communities. We're committed to reducing the impact our business has on the environment as well as helping you to do the same. We're working hard to reduce the amount of resources we use and the amount of CO2 emissions we produce.
Some of our recent achievements
- 91% of waste from the business was recycled
- 35% reduction in waste sent to landfill
- 26% reduction in packaging from own brand and direct-sourced products
- 9% reduction in carbon footprint
- 100% of direct-source and direct-import factories have a current ethical audit
Our future commitments
- Divert more than 90% of all our waste from landfill by recycling and further opportunities
- Continue to reduce our total waste tonnage to achieve a 35% by 2013 financial year end (vs2006)
- Achieve a 2% reduction in energy consumption (kWh/sq ft) year on year, enabling us to achieve a 18% reduction per sq ft by 2013 financial year end (vs 2006)
- Reduce CO2 emissions per sq ft by 40% by 2020( vs 2006)
- Achieve a 30% reduction in commercial fleet CO2 per sq ft by 2013 financial year end (vs 2006)
- Achieve a 10% reduction in water usage in our direct operations by 2015
We believe that working to meet these objectives is the best way to live up to your expectations of us as a retailer, enhance our reputation and manage our resources effectively in the face of rising costs.